about bible in the schools - SINCE 1922
Since 1922, Bible in the Schools has provided Hamilton County public school students in grades 6-12 with the opportunity to study the Bible in their classroom. These courses, offered as electives, allow students the opportunity to study the Bible from a literary or historical perspective. The Bible History program consists of five elective courses taught from a viewpoint-neutral, Court-approved curriculum. Electives are funded entirely through generous donors of the Hamilton County community and beyond. Charitable donations through Bible in the Schools, a 501(c)(3), cover the complete cost of the program, including Bible History teacher compensation, curriculum, professional development, and other resources. Entering its 99th year, the Hamilton County Bible History program seeks equal access for all public school students.
PUBLIC SCHOOL bible history teachers iN hamilton county schools
All Hamilton County Bible History teachers are required to be certified by the State of Tennessee. They are college/university trained educators who also hold a minimum of 12 official college-level Bible content credit hours. All courses are required to be direct studies of books of the Bible.
26 PUBLIC schools offering bible history electives
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 86% of all Hamilton County public middle and high school students will have access to Bible History electives.
Graph based on enrollment reported from Hamilton County Schools.
2018-2019 Pre/Post Test Averages ReflectED A 127% Increase in Bible Content Knowledge County-Wide
- Observable Change - Teachers report observable changes in student attitude, behavior, and outlook as a result of taking a Bible History course.
- Courses Offered - Courses are academically rigorous, for-credit, and are voluntary electives. Courses offered:
- Genesis - 6th Grade
- Exodus - 7th Grade
- Life of Jesus - 8th Grade (Based on book of Luke)
- Old Testament Survey - 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grade
- New Testament Survey - 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grade
- Official Textbook - The Bible