attitudes and behavior
bible classes improve scholarship and character
With the current emphasis on character education within the public schools of Hamilton County, it is encouraging to note the positive impact that Bible classes have on character and behavior. Although such an impact is to be expected by anyone familiar with the sound moral teachings in the Bible, it is surprising and encouraging that a study has found that even occasional Bible classes have a beneficial effect on students' educational experience in academic subjects as well.
This study was conducted in the fall of 2002 as a program evaluation of the Oakland, California, Released Time Bible Education Program by the National Council on Crime and Delinquency (NCCD). The Executive Summary of the study states the following:
During a study conducted in the fall of 2002, NCCD concluded:
- A comparative review between the academic performance scores of Oakland Released Time students and all 4th and 5th graders in Released Time schools reveals that students in Oakland Released Time perform better than their classmates as a whole in almost every category. [emphasis added]
- Oakland Released Time's curricula reinforce key literacy components such as spelling and reading comprehension, among others, and reflect positively on the relevancy of the instruction to the academic performance of children participating in the program.
- Overall, the scores of Oakland Released Time students improved after one year (between the academic year 2001-2002 and 2002-2003) in three categories of literacy skills: comprehension, spelling, and vocabulary.
- Oakland Released Time provides youth with strong adult mentorship and bonding.
- Oakland Released Time reinforces positive moral and character development that is antithetical to engaging in criminal or delinquent behavior. [emphasis added]
- Oakland Released Time interacts with youth who experience many of the academic problems (poor performance, illiteracy, etc.) that are correlated with a history of delinquency.
Overall, Oakland Released Time contributes positively to improving Oakland public schools.
If a Released Time Bible Education Program receives such rave reviews in Oakland, California, think of the positive contributions our daily Bible History classes make in the lives of our students here in Hamilton County, Tennessee.