about bible in the schools
Bible History elective classes in the public schools are an opportunity for students to have a viewpoint neutral, foundational study – at no cost to taxpayers – of one of the cornerstone texts of world history, which helps students become culturally literate and better equipped to thrive and contribute to a global world.
- In Our 96th year - Bible History classes have been a gift from the community to public school youth since 1922.
- No Tax Dollars - Bible History classes are funded in entirety by the generosity of the community through voluntary charitable contributions.
- Court Approved - In 1980, a federal court affirmed that teaching the Bible in public school is constitutionally permissible. The curriculum is court approved and meets legal requirements.
- 20 Teachers - All teachers are selected and hired by school principals.
bible history teachers in hamilton county PUBLIC schools
All Hamilton County Bible History teachers are certified by the State of Tennessee and and trained educators.
- 23 Schools - Bible History is offered to middle and high school students.
NUMBER OF schools offering bible history electives
Beginning August, 2017, 79% of all Hamilton County public middle and high school students will have access to Bible History electives.
- Over 3,700 Students - 2016-2017 Hamilton County enrollment data reported that 3,736 students took a Bible History class last school year. Past studies suggest that approximately one-half of the young people who elect a Bible History class have had little or no previous exposure to the Bible.
NUMBER OF students taking bible history ELECTIVES
Graph based on Hamilton County public schools' Bible History enrollment data.
- Measurable Outcomes - County-wide 2016-2017 pre/post test results reflect measurable growth in Bible knowledge.
Pre & Post Test Averages Reflect 85% Increase in Bible Content Knowledge County-Wide
Graph based on cumulative assessment averages for 3,736 students who took a Bible History elective during the 2016-2017 academic school year.
- Observable Change - Teachers report observable changes in student attitude, behavior, and outlook as a result of taking a Bible History course.
- Courses Offered - Courses are academically rigorous, for-credit, and are voluntary electives. Courses offered:
- Genesis - 6th Grade
- Exodus - 7th Grade
- Life of Jesus - 8th Grade (Based on book of Luke)
- Old Testament Survey - 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grade
- New Testament Survey - 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grade
- Bible as Textbook - The textbook used is the Bible.